- Written by : Zac Johnson
- Published on : Sep 29 2010
- Page Views : 31 views
Let’s face it, without an e-mail marketing list, you are reducing the potential you have for driving traffic, building your brand and increase your profits. This is one of the biggest mistakes I made when I first started out; I didn’t realize the true value of a list and didn’t have list building techniques in place from day one.
There are literally hundred of different ways you can build your list up. However, recently I have personally implemented these 5 techniques and have found to generate outstanding results.
#1 Mind-Blowing Technique - Good Karma List Machine
I stumbled across this technique while watching the ShoeMoney System 2.0. This idea was originally created by Frank Kern during his List Control launch, however Jeremy created a public version that anyone can download.
The Good Karma List Machine allows you to rapidly build your email list by utilizing a referral system that entices people who sign-up, to get their friends to sign-up as well. It works extremely well when you give someone something of value for free, then you give them bonus content if they refer x number of people to sign-up. Similar to how Twitter updates spread like wild-fire through RTs, the same concept is applied to list building through referrals.
The List Machine system, automatically integrates with AWeber and has a backend where you can control how many referrals people need to have in order to get the referral bonus content.
I actually just started using this system for my free 10 week Internet Marketing course that you can see in action and sign-up for right now.
#2 Mind-Blowing Technique – Multiple Triggers
The more opportunities you give a user to sign-up for your free offer(s), the better the chance you have of capturing that person’s contact information. Try adding your offer in the following places on your blog.
- Sidebar: Adding a quick sign-up form in the top of your sidebar will make it one of the first things the user will see. Using a well designed graphic with a contact form integrated will surely help the # of people who sign-up for your offer.
- After Every Post: A problem with blogs is that many readers will just read the newest blog post, without really navigation the rest of your site. If you put a sign-up box with your offer at the end of each post, it reinforces the user to sign-up.
- Bottom of RSS Feed: A am a big fan of the RSS footer plugin created by Yoast. This plugin allows you to add HTML code into the footer of your RSS feed. Because many subscribers read your posts in their RSS reader, they may not see offers you have on your site. This will help display that offer to your RSS subscribers, by putting a text or banner ad in the footer of your feed.
- Author Bio: Whenever you write a guest post for another blog, this is a great opportunity to not only mention your blog, but anything that you are giving away for free. Add a link to the landing page where they can download or sign-up for your content.
Below you can see this example in action at Michael Dunlop’s blog incomediary.com.
#3 Mind-Blowing Technique – List Swaps
List swapping is basically where you send an e-mail to your marketing list, promoting someone else’s product, offer or content and vice versa. Of course there are potentially a lot of issues with list swaps, as you are not familiar with the quality of the other person’s list. That is why it is important to personally contact the person who you are doing a list exchange with and find out more about he/his readership and list. Ideally it seems to work better when both of you have the same list size, similar credibility in the industry, and same readers.
Another technique you can try when doing list swaps, it cross-marketing in vertical niches. For example, if your list is mainly made up of Internet Marketers, Affiliate Marketers, etc…you may want to try find partners who have Web Designers and/or Web Programmers on their list. Odds are that many of these users are probably interested in how they can better market websites they are designing/programming.
Here is a list of various list swapping sites that connect others who are looking to grow their list, just like you.
#4 Mind-Blowing Technique – Pop-Up Domination
There has been some recent controversy over this technique, however the bottom line is it works! Pop-Up Domination is a wordpress plugin that will display a lightbox pop-up to the user when they get to your site. That pop-up will put your offer, front and center to the user and drastically increases your opt-it rates.
The great thing about this plugin, is you do not need to have any type of design skills at all. There is a simply step by step process that you follow, where you fill in the blanks and the plugin will do the rest. Another option you have is being able to control how often the pop-up is displayed to the user. Because some users may find it obtrusive, you may want to only show the pop-up every few days or once a week.
#5 Mind-Blowing Technique – Contests
A great contest with a high value prize can go viral and make a huge spike in your subscriber numbers. Giving away things that are hot like the iPad, free pass to a conference or copy of your latest product can easily make people want to sign-up. You can also be creative with how you structure your contest to help spread the word about your contest.
For example having multiple prize tiers for referral contests, affiliate sales contests, incentive contests can give people added reason to participate.
- Tier 1 = 20 Referrals / 1 iPad
- Tier 2 = 50 Referrals / 3 Months of Coaching
- Tier 3 = 100 Referrals / Pass to SMX East + Copy of Latest eBook
About the Guest Post Author
Mark Thompson is the creator of StayOnSearch, a blog dedicated to Internet Marketing professionals looking to increase traffic, build their brand and make money through blogging. Make sure you sign-up for his newly released free 10 week Internet Marketing course. You can also follow Mark on Twitter.