What are the Main Costs to Make a Business Website?
When you’re ready to take your business online, or even just start a personal blog, there are a few key costs you need to be aware of. These include the cost of your domain name, web hosting, site design and maintenance, as well as marketing.
However, these prices and start up costs can vary heavily depending on your knowledge of this space, what companies to go with, and if you are going to complete the projects yourself or have them outsourced.
In this article, we are going to highlight some of the most basic costs when starting a new website, along with the different options for each.
Preparing for the Launch of Your Website Business
You’ve got the great idea for a website business. Congratulations! But before you can launch your site, you need to come up with the funds to make it happen. Here are a few tips to help you get started:
1. Have a clear plan and budget for your website. Knowing how much you need to raise will help you determine the best way to raise the funds.
2. Talk to potential investors about your website business. If you can get them on board early, they may be willing to provide some seed money to get things started.
3. Use personal savings or take out a loan from the bank. This is often the most difficult way to raise funds, but it may be necessary if you don’t have any other options. However, with more online lending programs available than ever before, the idea of going with a small business loan is becoming more common.
4. Ask family and friends for help. They may be willing to donate money or time to help you get your website business off the ground. This might seem like a good idea at first, but don’t forget, they will always be thinking about their money and when they will be getting it back.
5. Use crowdfunding platforms like Kickstarter or Indiegogo to raise funds from the general public. This can be a great way to get people excited about your website business and build buzz before launch.
6. Find a partner or two who are willing to invest in your website business. Having a few people on board can help you raise the funds you need more quickly.
7. Use advertising or affiliate marketing to generate revenue from your website before it launches. This can give you a head start on funding your website business and help you cover some of the costs upfront.
Launching a website business can be a great way to achieve your entrepreneurial dreams. By following these tips, you can raise the necessary funds to make it happen.
Now let’s move into a list of the most basic costs when starting a new website.
Your domain name is your website’s address on the internet. It’s what people will type into their browser to find your site. You can usually purchase a domain name through your web hosting company, or through a domain name registrar such as GoDaddy.com.
The cost of a domain name can range from $10 to $20 per year. However, if you choose a popular or generic domain name, it could cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars.
For more options when it comes to domain names, check out this recent article from Forbes.
Web hosting is where your website lives on the internet. Your web host provides the server space and bandwidth for your site. The cost of web hosting can range from $5 to $100 per month, depending on the size and traffic of your site. For most small businesses and personal blogs, shared web hosting is usually sufficient.
Site Design & Maintenance
The cost of site design and maintenance will vary depending on the size and complexity of your website. If you’re creating a simple website yourself, the cost could be as low as $50. However, if you’re hiring a professional to design and build a more complex website, the cost could be several thousand dollars.
In order to attract visitors to your website, you’ll need to do some marketing. The cost of marketing can range from nothing (if you’re doing it yourself) to thousands of dollars per month (if you’re hiring a professional agency).
Some common marketing activities include search engine optimization (SEO), pay-per-click advertising (PPC), and social media marketing. And with the massive movements in social media over the past several years, having a presence on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube and TikTok is key.
Costs of Starting a Website Summary
The cost of starting a website can vary widely, depending on the size and complexity of your site, as well as the amount you’re willing to spend on marketing. However, for most small businesses and personal blogs, the total cost should be under $1,000.
Wait... before you leave, consider these top resources: