ROTE 072: Dave Evanson and Brokering Premium Domain Names
Domain names are the real estate of the internet. Just like with land based real estate, each domain is valued differently, but once it’s owned by someone — you will have to pay a price to get it back!
With millions of domain names being registered every day, it’s the generic, brandable and keyword related domain names that are going to drive the highest sales. You can take a look at this previous post I wrote for the highest domain sales in history.
Now it’s time for you to learn straight from the master who has brokered thousands of domain names and generated millions of dollars in sales along the way. All of this and more in the latest episode of Rise of the Entrepreneur with Dave Evanson.
Rise of the Entrepreneur – Episode 72 with Dave Evanson
Dave Evanson is the Senior Sales & Brokerage Consultant for Sedo.com
The business of buying and selling domain names is a big one. So is the business of being a broker and focusing on only high level six-figure domain sales. This is exactly what Dave Evanson has been doing ever since he left the banking and marketing to starting his own consulting firm and ultimately become the ultra-premium domain broker he is today.
It all started when Dave registered a bunch of investment related domain names of his own back in the late 90s, then successfully sold a bunch of them while at a domain name auction and conference. With multiple domain name sales under his belt and working alongside Fortune 500 companies to educate and help them with domain transactions of their own, Dave is now a senior sales and brokerage consultant with Sedo.com — the largest aftermarket for domain names worldwide.
One of Dave’s most recent domain sales was for $500 thousand, which was for Give.com — sold to the founder of HostGator.com, and will be used as a charity resource online.
Talking Points Discussed in this Episode:
- How Dave starting out in the banking and ended with domains
- Launching a consulting company and helping startups grow
- Initial purchase of inheritance.com and 1000+ domains
- Daily tasks and management of a domain broke
- Different ways to sell a domain through a broker and Sedo
- How to value a domain name and get the most money for it
- The process of buying a domain name that isn’t for sale
- Why everyone should own their personal name as a domain
- Three great Q&A questions for Dave in the Pit of Fire
Mentioned URLs and Resources:
LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS!
I can’t thank you enough for listening in to the seventy-second episode of the Rise of the Entrepreneur. The podcast is currently available through iTunes (usually ranked in Top 50 in BUSINESS) and has already been downloaded in over 100+ different countries!
Be sure to check back often as a new episode will go live every TUESDAY. You can listen to each of the episodes through the blog or itunes, stitcher etc.
* Please subscribe through iTunes by clicking here. Until next time, be sure to share your comments below and spread the word around about the podcast — as you, the listeners are the future and voice of the show!
Wait... before you leave, consider these top resources: