ROTE 089: Jeff Goins Explains Why Real Artists Don’t Starve
Why do some people find success when others continually fail? They seem to be great at whatever it is they do, but they can’t stand out from the crowd of even make money from their efforts. This is something we often see and refer to as the ‘starving artist‘ — but still, why do some artists fail, when others become world-renown icons that are known throughout history?
Take Michaelangelo for example. Not only is he one of the most famous artists of all time, he was also one of the richest (especially during his time). So, what made Michaelangelo stand out from the crowd when there were likely other artists with comparable skills and willing to put the work in?
In the end, it usually comes down to a set of principles that focus on an individual’s work ethic, thought the process and how they approach the ‘business and marketing’ of their talents. It’s these same timeless strategies that prove time and time again why some artists find success, while others are left to starve.
Jeff Goins is a perfect example of someone who’s been able to take their talent of writing, and turning it into a successful business — which is why he’s the latest guest episode of Rise of the Entrepreneur to find out!
Rise of the Entrepreneur – Episode 89 with Jeff Goins
Jeff Goins is a best-selling author, blogger, and entrepreneur.
In addition to being the writer of four different books, including “The Art of Work”, Jeff always had a passion for writing and learning how professionals can make a living at what they do best. Through his blog and latest book “Real Artists Don’t Starve”, Jeff not only covers the topic in great detail, he does it in a way that many of us can relate to and enjoy — which is through stories of past artists who we are all very familiar with. At the same time, Goins has come up with a list of timeless strategies for thriving in the new creative age that we live in today.
In short, through the power of the internet and how accessible technology and everyone is in the world today, there really is no excuse for not turning your passion and expertise into a real money-generating business.
All of that and more in this latest episode of the Rise of the Entrepreneur.
Talking Points Discussed in this Episode:
- Jeff Goins and how he got to where he is today
- Why it’s important to build a platform before publishing a book
- Five Timeless Strategies for Success
– steal from your influences (don’t wait for inspiration)
– collaborate with others (working alone is a surefire way to starve)
– take strategic risks (instead of reckless ones)
– make money in order to make more art (it’s not selling out)
– apprentice under a master (a “lone genius” can never reach full potential)
- Why is Jeff Goins so successful, when others are struggling
- Three great Q&A questions for Jeff in the Pit of Fire
Mentioned URLs and Resources:
LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS!
I can’t thank you enough for listening in to the eighty-ninth episode of the Rise of the Entrepreneur. The podcast is currently available through iTunes (usually ranked in Top 50 in BUSINESS) and has already been downloaded in over 100+ different countries!
Be sure to check back often as a new episode will go live every TUESDAY. You can listen to each of the episodes through the blog or itunes, stitcher etc.
* Please subscribe through iTunes by clicking here. Until next time, be sure to share your comments below and spread the word around about the podcast — as you, the listeners are the future and voice of the show!
Wait... before you leave, consider these top resources: